Online casinos are lucrative targets for hackers as they are the gateways to clients’ personal information and funds, hacking which the fraudsters can get access to a lot of money. However, not all hackers do it for money; some do it just for fun. There are more reasons why fraudsters are targeting online gambling sites. Here are why people hack online casino websites:
1. For starting own gambling business
The mass adoption of blockchain technology contributes to the huge popularity of the online casino industry, which is expected to cross $100 billion in value by the end of 2024. This has led to thousands of online casino sites popping up regularly.
As a result, developers are continuously launching various online casino software solutions to back the website and capture the booming online casino market. Game providers are also launching various online casino products like various forms of table games, slot games, etc. If by any chance, hackers can get their hands on these games, they can launch their own website, lure customers, and earn money that the players pay as deposits during registration on the sites. Apart from this, learn the winning strategies for online gambling, so that you can apply it in your game and atlast you will definitely achieve huge rewards.
2. For fun
Hacking sometimes becomes an obsession; youngsters often do it for fun without any malicious intentions. They hack the online casinos’ websites, collect information related to the bank accounts, credit cards, and other personal information about the clients, and then start withdrawing money. A hacker somehow manages to enter “protected” areas of the casinos’ websites, starts accessing user accounts, and eventually cashes out winnings.
Even though modern systems do not allow intruders to directly access the credit cards or bank accounts sections of the websites, sometimes security flaws work in favor of hackers that help them to wipe out cash balances from the casinos quickly. A tested way to protect your fund from intruders is to withdraw large winnings to your personal accounts instead of keeping them in the casino’s wallets to withdraw later.
3. To blackmail players
Though the hackers cannot directly access the players’ bank accounts, they can easily access the personal information of the players that they can use to blackmail them. They can enter the personal profiles of users, change their passwords, or even perform malicious actions that may malign the users.
4. Sell data to third parties
If your personal data goes out in the wrong hands, anything may happen that can go against you. Hackers can use your personal data and sell them to third parties who will pay a hefty amount for all the personal information they get from hackers.
5. Send spam
Besides selling databases of the online casino customers to third parties for money, hackers often use clients’ information for their own purposes. Sometimes hackers use users’ personal information to send spam or even add email addresses to affiliate networks.
6. Use malware
Though hackers’ main purpose is to get your personal data, some hackers use sensitive data of the online casino customers to distribute malware or viruses to extort more information or even money.
How can somebody hack your crypto casino?
Hackers use time tested strategies to hack casinos; some of them are discussed below:
- DDoS attacks– this is the most common way by which cybercriminals target online casinos. When they have enough processing power, they send multiple false requests to the targeted server, interrupting the server’s stable work, thereby crashing the server eventually. Taking this opportunity, hackers demand huge ransoms to stop DDoS.
- Phishing techniques– this is yet another way hackers use to access protected areas of the online casinos’ websites. Hackers often resort to distributing malware through third-party services like GPWA. Sometimes they also hack the website via IoT (Internet of things) devices.
- White–hat hackers are cybersecurity experts who explore the casinos’ vulnerabilities but not for their own benefits; the casino developers hire them to fix the bug issues, and the casino website owners reward them for this help.
Though this form of cooperation is mutually beneficial, not all hackers are white-hat hackers. Therefore, to overcome this problem, casinos need to improve their security systems for protecting their users.
How to protect your crypto casino from hackers?
Gambling businesses and online casino website owners use the following ways to protect their crypto casinos from hackers,
- Implement 2-factor authentication on both the user and the admin accounts.
- Ban repeat cheating offenders.
- Place time-bound holds on the casino items that are up for trade at a particular time.
- Identify the gaming methods that are being targeted and modify them to prevent further exploitation.
- Identify abnormal user activities on the casino website.
Therefore, the only way online casinos can remain untouched is by ensuring safety measures that cannot be compromised anyway. This way, the personal information of users will not go into the wrong hands. However, go through bitcoin casino top-notch list, so that you can choose one for yourself to explore your strategies with them.